Contouring On A Budget

contouring on a budget, maybelline master sculpt, contour review, sleek contour kit, bourjois chocolate bronzer, bourjois contour powder, maybelline contour


















I think it's fair to say, that since the Kardashians hit our screens nearly 10 years ago women all over the world have gone crazy for contouring, with the aim of getting the chiseled cheeks just like Kim. It used to be a Hollywood's secret to perfect cheekbones, but with the help of the budget brands, the everyday woman can now sculpt and highlight her face to her hearts content.



One of the first bronzing and contouring products I ever tried was the Sleek Contour Kit in Light, I'd always thought I was too pale for any kind of bronzer so stuck exclusively to blusher on the cheeks; but when an awards ceremony was approaching a couple of years ago I thought I'd give it a try, and y'know what? I loved it! I would use the Real Techniques Contour Brush in the hollows of my cheeks, and started to wear this on a more daily basis. It's now restricted for more evening use, it's probably the most matte and flat contour product you'll get on a budget, but also having a nice ash tone to it. The highlight is also my favourite of the bunch.

contouring on a budget, maybelline master sculpt, contour review, sleek contour kit, bourjois chocolate bronzer, bourjois contour powder, maybelline contour


















If you never tried the Bourjois chocolate bronzer - you know the one I mean - as a teenager I'll be surprised, I imagine back in the day it rivalled Dream Matte Mousse for being the number one found product in school girls makeup bags. But about 18 months ago Bourjois upped their game and brought out a whole host of new bronzing products, the Bronzing Powder + Highlighter in shade 55 being one of them. It's slightly more bronze than the rest, so if you're wanting a bit of definition but still some bronzer, this is a great option. The highlighter is a bit hit and miss, if you can get enough on your brush it's worth it, but it's hard to pick the product up to start with.

contouring on a budget, maybelline master sculpt, contour review, sleek contour kit, bourjois chocolate bronzer, bourjois contour powder, maybelline contour


















The newest for me to try is the Maybelline Master Sculpt in Light/Medium, in the packaging I had really high hopes this would be the perfect ash bronze contour powder, possibly rivalling some high-end alternatives. On use, it's not that, however it is a nice product, especially for those wanting to try contouring or wanting a product for everyday use. It's the least pigmented of the lot, but has a nice mixture of those bronze and grey tones, so you can use it everyday without looking too overdone. It's not completely matte so it can be used as a bit of a bronzer too. The highlighter is pretty pointless, it's a translucent powder with a tiny shimmer running through it, but it does come with a brush if that's important to you.

What are your favourite contouring products?
TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN | INSTAGRAM

12 comments

  1. I love the sleek contour kit, used it for years!

    Karan// studentbeautyhack

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sleek contour kit, used it for years!

    Karan// studentbeautyhack

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we had access to drug store bronzers in Australia! But those look so good and I've heard so much about the sleek contour kit, that I am desperate to pick one up when I go overseas! Lovely post! xx

    Gina xx || Life and Lights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the prices in Australia are crazy for makeup! Hopefully something will arrive in Australia that works for you :)

      Delete
  4. The Maybelline one looks lovely. I tried the Bourjois one and found the pigmentation not to be great x
    Emma | Emmys Beauty Cave

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Sleek contour kit xx

    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely keep an eye out for the new one from Maybelline :) I love the ones that Sleek do! xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ilove the sleek contour kit, its so easy to blend and use!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good contour, unfortunately we don't get good drugstore contouring shades in Canada, but I'm hopefully something amazing will come along at some point!

    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw hopefully it will, or maybe you could try ordering online? x

      Delete
  9. I love contouring, I've never bought one of these kits though!! My housemate uses the Sleek Contour Kit and swears by it.

    http://ruthyb1.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh maybe ask to borrow hers to see if you like it ;) x

      Delete